Review Questions for Lecture 3: Bonding in Minerals
1. How does covalent bonding differ from ionic bonding? from van der
2. What element is necessary for a mineral to possess hydrogen bonding?
3. How do you determine if a bond between two elements is covalent or ionic?
4. Why do minerals with a metallic bond conduct electricity?
5. How are the types of bonds that a mineral possess manifest in their physical
6. If mineral A has van der Waals bonds, and mineral B has ionic bonding,
which mineral is likely to have the highest hardness?
7. If mineral A streak's paper and mineral B cuts class, which has the strongest
8. Are longer bonds weaker or stronger than shorter bonds (between the same
9. If a mineral has three different elements, how many possible bond types
can it have?